Black Alumni Council
NIUBAC has given approximately 100 students more than $25,000 in Fanny Ruth Patterson Scholarship Awards, named for the first Black student to graduate from NIU.
Stephanie Carr (NIUBAC Board Member) was a Fanny Ruth Patterson Scholarship Recipient in 1990.
Operating out of Chicago since 1976, the Northern Illinois University Black Alumni Council (NIUBAC) has worked to support Black students at NIU as well as being a resource for NIU Black Alumni.
The mission of the NIUBAC is the recruitment, retention, and graduation of Black students attending NIU by providing the resources pertinent to their academic support, financial assistance, and career development. It is also our mission to serve as a bridge between the university and NIU Black Alums and provide community activities and social/networking opportunities.
Description of events/programs:
The NIUBAC has hosted many events to serve as a bridge between the university, current NIU Students, and NIU Black Alums and provide community activities and social/networking opportunities.
• Annual Party at the Bronzeville Community Center (since 2008)
• Annual Picnic at Dan Ryan Woods (since 1999)
• Holiday Bowling Party (1999-2008, and this event will be held again in 2011)
• Network and Nibbles (Summer, 2010)
• Where Are They Now? (1999-2003, and this event will be held again in 2011)
• CHANCE Program Orientation (since 2005)
• Scholarship/Outstanding Alumni Awards Gala (since 2001)
• Talented Tenth College Tour (since 1985)
• The Talented Tenth Program (with the assistance of BAC committee members) has exposed over 10,000 African American high school students to NIU over the last 26 years.
• Approximately 25-30 Black high school students per year, who are exposed to NIU via The Talented Tenth Program, are accepted by NIU.
• BAC has given out approximately 12 Outstanding Black Alumni Awards to distinguished NIU Black Alumni.
Membership involvement details:
Membership in the NIUBAC is free and by becoming a member you will receive e-mail notifications of all upcoming BAC and NIU AA events. Please join by clicking here.
We encourage all members of the Black Alumni Council to become dues-paying members of the NIU Alumni Association. Click here for more information.